[*] StarStar Me: Using your name as your phone number

Ron Dallmeier rondallmeier at fiber.ca
Fri Jan 25 16:18:03 CST 2013

What you are describing wasn't created by MS (so far as I know)? But I
am happy to see that they adopted the correct solution.
It sounds identical to sip.edu.
We had an project at MRnet (winter of 2004/2005). Bill had set this up
on a MRnet server (asterisk and SER). We could direct sip2sip call
people at the big universities in the US by their email address.
You attempt to make the call using the email address. The sip proxy
does a DNS-SRV record lookup to see if there is a sip gateway for that
domain, if so the call setup request to sent that way.
The sip gateway would know if the target user had a active sip
registration or the participating universities would map the email to
the respective campus phone using existing database lookups.
Funny thing the biggest problem with our project was getting it to
work with the UofM's PBX via PRI (we weren't getting the dialed
number).

...Ron