[*] Asterisk on Raspberry Pi - My journey

Dan Keizer ve4drk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:27:23 CST 2013

Sounds like you've certainly had a good time with great results.

While I do have a RPI, I do not use it for VoIP/asterisk - it was used just
to play with and will be used as a media controller (having the HDMI and
digital audio out is a great feature here!)

I have a physical server hosting an older asterisk installation with
numerous VM's hosted on ESXi for backup pbx's and to test out other
distributions.  I've tried other VM services, but I seem to like (and am
used to) ESXi.  If you look at using a VM, be aware that those older X100
cards that were brought in a few years ago really don't work with VM's - so
the SPA devices are preferred in that context.

I think you hit it on the head with your comment about the
*-acceptance-factor :-)  Certainly has to work like an appliance.

Like you, I have an SPA3101, and it worked well with the POTS line when it
was here - configured as an extension.  Now that I don't have a POTS line,
I guess I really don't need it, so if you're interested, we'll have to have
a coffee one day :-)

Also, there is a local supplier for your RPI.  There may be others around
that have them, but I've used Active Electronics on Century - they have
them for $49.  Last time I checked a week or so ago, they still had a good
selection.

As a side-note - if you're looking for "true backup communications" -- you
can get your Amateur Radio licence fairly easily these days (no morse code
required if you don't use it).  It's amazing that in this day and age
(flooding, hurricanes, earthquakes etc) ham radio has been used extensively
when all-else (cell, terrestrial, etc)  fails.  You really don't need
expensive towers/beams/etc to work most countries (they do help though) - a
simple wire-antenna/tuner will suffice most of the time.
There are two basic courses that just started up .. i'm sure more will
follow -- here's the reference:
https://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/beginner-info/courses/

(anyways, that's my plug for radio :-)

Dan.