[*] StarStar Me: Using your name as your phone number

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Mon Jan 21 18:00:05 CST 2013

 There have been (and are) a number of efforts in this direction, like .tel
(a TLD sponsored by Telnic) and eNum, and even E.164 and OpenID have some
overlap with these efforts.  It's a great idea!

On a related note, major gains in voice quality and cost of transmission
could be achieved if all VoIP-to-VoIP calls (even between different
carriers) could be identified as VoIP-to-VoIP at initiation time and avoid
going through the PSTN (public switched telephone network) entirely.  Some
suggestions along this line have been made, but "efforts" would be an
overstatement.

VoIP-to-VoIP within single carriers is normally done without the PSTN -
Vonage and Shaw both do this, I believe.  That's especially why they can
offer unlimited long-distance between customers on the same carrier, though
it's also good marketing in any case.

Hartmut Sager