[*] Interesting question

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Jan 16 17:15:40 CST 2013

Google “asterisk click to call”.

It sounds like you want to automate the dialing in some sort of phonebook app; this is the easier solution.  You will have to decide whether you want a client-centric solution or a server-centric solution.

I suggest you review http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+click+to+call for ideas of what’s out there.

I designed the click-to-call system in Ultimate Events Calendar (channel 88 on MTS Ultimate TV), although I don’t know if that feature ever went live… it spoke HTTP from your STB to a proxy server which spoke AMI to the Asterisk server which established both legs of a bridge between the phone# the TV user entered and a ring group (IIRC) with some funky dialplan logic to tie it all together.  That’s fairly typical of the server-centric model; complexity is the order of the day when tying that many disparate systems together.

Client-centric (e.g. TAPI, FF extensions, etc.) is simpler but much more limited.

-Adam Thompson

athompso at athompso.net