[*] CIRA statement on IXPs

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 14 15:05:53 CDT 2012

John, I agree that IX's are difficult to start in the existing environment and
that is one of the reasons why there are so few. On the other hand it is not
clear to me that a local IX is not beneficial. If an IX existed then it may
affect how a business gets initially connected but this effect will not be
apparent for at least 2 or 3 years. Creating a viable IX takes time and of
course it may not happen. What CIRA has decided to do is kick start an IX so
that it will become viable and organizations can make a business case to connect.

Predicting the future in this Internet environment is very difficult. We all
know of a number of technologies that sound great but fizzle out or morph over
time in unexpected directions. For example VoIP did not develop the way I
thought when I first got into it.

I find it is interesting that the idea of MBIX started up in the fall and quite
independently CIRA decided a few months later to push to increase the number of
IX's in Canada. MBIX has the good fortune to be the first IX that CIRA is
supporting and they are really committed to making it a success. For example the
proposed Google and Akamai cache should enable an organization to offset local
loop costs with lower transit costs.

-- Bill