[*] CIRA and IX mentioned in Wpg Free Press this morning

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Tue Jul 3 13:28:20 CDT 2012

I think it's fine that CIRA is going to kick in some $ to try and make this
happen. As I've said, economics is the main reason why it doesn't work so
having CIRA foot the bill might get things rolling. Long term this might
help smaller ISPs which could increase competition.

But...

"Almost all Canadian Internet currently is routed through American networks
..."

*facepalm* This is misleading on so many levels. They are sure playing up
the FUD. Disappointing from CIRA. -1

"To a lesser extent, CIRA argues setting up new exchanges in Canada would
bring down the cost of transmitting data, as Internet service providers
(ISPs) must pay the owners of American networks to transmit data across the
border."

Wrong. Another -1.

The smaller ISPs transit through the US when they can because its cheaper
to buy access from an American provider and route it back to Canada than it
is to buy access from a Canadian provider. An IXP will actually increase
cost, not reduce it because you'll still need your American provider to get
you access to the Internet plus you'll now have costs associated with the
IXP peering.

Why are there not more IXPs? Answer: The major ISPs are already peering,
they just aren't doing it at "public" IXPs. They have their own private
IXPs and have no motivation to participate in any additional ones.

I guess I'm disappointed in all this IXP talk because it fails to address
the root of the problem which is lack of competition caused by Canadian
protectionism in the telecom industry.

If anyone wants to read the official press release, it's here:
http://cira.ca/news/news-releases/ixp/

John