[*] MBIX gets mentioned in CIRA blog ...

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Mon Jul 2 23:25:38 CDT 2012

No doubt there are lots of examples of situations where there could be more
efficient peering, but my point is, that won't happen because "most
efficient" is not how the internet is built. Its built on "least cost". If
there is an economic case for provider X to peer with Provider Y, then it
will happen.

It will not happen simply because someone created an IXP and exchanging
traffic there is more efficient.

The problem with the IXPs is, if I want to exchange traffic I first have to
get it there. The "getting it there" problem is far and away more expensive
than just paying to dump it onto an existing internet connection.

John