[*] Fallout of Skype purchase from Microsoft

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Thu May 26 12:59:01 CDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com> wrote:
> How could Skype become *less* open than it is now? :)

Heh.. True but I think I mean available on less platforms/devices.

> For $8B Microsoft could have easily built their own.

Don't they already have their own? MSN Chat or whatever it's called?

> The other possible reason for Microsoft's purchase of Skype could have been
> to prevent someone else from buying it.

Facebook was rumored to be close to buying Skype when Microsoft
swooped in. Facebook + Skype makes tons of sense to me because
Facebook-to-Facebook calling is a no-brainer. "Log into facebook and
make free unlimited calls to them."

Why Microsoft felt it had to block that I have no idea.

The fallout may be that Facebook is forced to write the next "Skype".
A native voice/video chat for Facebook would be a massive threat to
Skype.

--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca