[*] Fallout of Skype purchase from Microsoft

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Thu May 26 12:42:13 CDT 2011

How could Skype become *less* open than it is now? :)

WRT Skype/Asterisk, I'm curious what kind of revenue that means. If I had to
guess, the revenue is insignificant.  Microsoft probably got rid of Skype's
payroll department, but that didn't make the news.

Skype has two things to offer:

1. The technology
2. The user base (which by extension, includes the revenue stream)

For $8B Microsoft could have easily built their own. So it must be about the
users and/or revenue. But Skype's revenue ($1B/yr est) pales compared to
Microsoft's ($65B/yr). The business division (which I think is where the
VoIP stuff is) has about $21B of revenue attached. Skype would be a fraction
of that. And Skype users don't necessarily overlap with the corporate users.
 I really don't know what Microsoft gets out of this.

The other possible reason for Microsoft's purchase of Skype could have been
to prevent someone else from buying it.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/