[*] audio delay

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Sat Mar 12 11:32:36 CST 2011

If you can reproduce it reliably on only certain calls and not on
others then it may very likely be a problem with the provider.

Short story; we had a customer that was complaining that the new phone
system we installed was terrible, bad quality calls etc. We of course
thought that it must be something wrong on the network and killed
ourselves trying to solve the issue.

Long story short, we finally isolated the problem to long distance
calls to certain area codes, but only about 30% of the time.

Turns out that when we installed the phone system the customer
switched to a PRI at the same time and in conjunction with that they
were put on a different long distance plan. After a lot of back and
forth we finally convinced MTS to do a trace and sure enough one of
the long distance routes they were using was bad.

We burned a ton of time and lost a lot of "good will" with the
customer for something that turned out to be an MTS problem. The moral
of the story is, don't assume any part of the network is good. Always
trouble shoot it end-to-end.

John