[*] isen.blog: Broadband without Internet ain't worth squat

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Wed May 6 15:48:48 CDT 2009

Tom Poe wrote:

> The point is, a local broadband infrastructure, combined with "white
> spaces" networking at the lowest cost per house is a whole lot better
> for you and I than the centralized crappoolla offered by the
> incumbents.  And, Isenberg is moving us away from the target with his
> coded "framing" of the issues.

I assume when you say "centralized crappoolla" you are referring to the
Internet. The Internet is not centralized like the PSTN. It supports
end-to-end computing which is the essence of a decentralized network.
Without Internet connectivity a local broadband infrastructure is close
to irrelevant. I certainly agree with you that the Internet access
provided by some ISPs lives much to be desired but true central control
is found in the PSTN and the cell phone providers.

Isenberg supports local broadband initiatives and decentralized control
so it is interesting that you seem to feel that he does not. I still do
not understand how his "framing" of the issue goes against these topics.
If you are saying that local broadband is more important than Internet
connectivity then we will have to agree to disagree.

-- Bill