[*] Junk emails?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jan 30 13:35:52 CST 2008

On 2008-01-30 02:07, Kevin Scott wrote:
[Re: downloadable software spam]
> Is anybody else getting emails like this?  This is the 3rd one I've gotten
> now, I received two of them today.....

Wow!  That few?! ;)  I've been getting these by the dozen for a few
weeks now.  Of course, my addresses have been quite publicly available
from before the days of e-mail spam.

> My email address is ONLY used for the muug group, so our archives is where
> they got it from?

As Bill pointed out, it's possible, although the simple address
obfuscation that GNU mailman does has been rather effective until now.

One thing I noticed about your e-mail address, though, is that it might
be prone to dictionary-based spamming.  Try using a less obvious name
part of the address.  The name "muug" might not seem like a common
enough word to be in a spammer's dictionary, but it is part of a fairly
well-known domain (at least judging by the amount of spam we block on
our server), so it may have made its way into some of their dictionaries.

Gilbert