[*] RE: Shaw QOS

Paul root at nizon.ca
Sun Sep 23 17:09:09 CDT 2007

The signal levels on every single modem are recorded every few hours, not
just for business accounts.
The system also keeps a log of every single time a modem de-registers from
the CMTS.

All traffic heading out of the gig port on each CMTS is traffic shaped
(except Terayon modems).
There's no way to identify what modem a particular packet is coming from at
that point so it would be impossible to remove someone from traffic shaping.

The surfboard 51xx series modems support QoS, so I believe it's simply
enabled on the modem (you'll notice the modem reset when it's added) and
does the same thing your $60 router would do if you enabled it's QoS
features.

-Paul