[*] install on fc5 questions

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Fri Jan 12 17:57:17 CST 2007

Bill Reid wrote:
> Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> system, as a learning howto project.  I'm hooked up to the regional
>> Qwest monopoly with their 26Kb download DSL crap they call broadband,
>
> Do you actually mean 26K bps? That is not enough bandwidth to support
> VoIP.
>
> -- Bill

When I download a file, the progress bar info shows download speed is
limited to 26Kb per second.  On a previous FC5 install (same computer,
same Qwest DSL setup), I was able to install the xten softphone and
complete 2-way test call connections.  One test call was to a hotel desk
in the UK.  Is it possible that there is a difference between making a
VoIP call, and downloading files across the Internet?
Thanks, Tom