[*] This months CAVP Update is free

John Lange john.lange at cavp.ca
Mon Dec 3 22:37:35 CST 2007

This month, the full version of the CAVP Update is available to
non-members. I thought some people on this list might be interested.

Here is a synopsis;

----

SPECTRUM AUCTIONS, FOREIGN OWNERSHIP, AND OPEN ACCESS

Recently there has been a great deal of hand-wringing over the lack of
competition in Canada's wireless industry. Users are growing more and
more restless at the exorbitant wireless voice and data rates they are
being charged as compared to our American and European counterparts. It
has even been rumored that sky-high data rates are the main roadblock
preventing the Apple iPhone from being introduced on the Rogers network
in Canada. So what's a regulator to do?

Last week the CRTC finally announced the long awaited rules for the 2Ghz
spectrum auction. The rules stipulate that a portion of the spectrum has
been set aside for new entrants hopefully paving the way for another
smaller national wireless provider to get into the game.

While setting aside spectrum for new entrants seems like a good idea, it
is not going to have any significant impact on the wireless landscape.

The rest of the article is available on the web site; www.cavp.ca .

Regards,
--
John Lange