[*] Skype challenger

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Sep 28 11:56:11 CDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 11:42 -0500, Sean Walberg wrote:
> I always am suspicious when the word "challenger" is used.  A high
> school hockey team can be challengers to an NHL team, though the
> results are all but certain.
>
> The thing about Skype is "it works".  I know people here have skype
> running, despite the firewall rules we have to block most P2P stuff.

I'm unclear if you consider this a good thing?

Would it not be relatively trivial to write Skype blocking rules?

>  I fired up busta, and was immediately blocked by our proxy server and
> the application failed.

It is SIP after all. You don't even need firewall rules to block SIP,
just NAT will stop it unless you configure it to work around that or
setup special rules to allow it to work.

I believe netfilter has SIP modules now. I'm interested in trying it to
see if REINVITES work but haven't got around to it yet.

BTW, I never tried Busta I just passed along the link.

John