[*] Try Chan Skype

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 11 10:37:47 CDT 2006

John Lange wrote:
> Ya, further discussion on the developers list seems to indicate it isn't
> a true skype channel. Its just a bridge between skype and Asterisk.
>
> Its interesting none the less but probably not practical for anything
> other than home use.

The Skype API does not allow you to xfer audio but only control the session. So
the audio is always a kludge. It says a lot about closed proprietary protocols.
For the VoIP world Skype has been a step backwards. It has gotten a lot of
subscribers but does not co-operate. I was surveying USB handsets a couple of
weeks ago and was disappointed to see that they mostly only support Skype and
not SIP.

-- Bill