[*] T.O. to become wireless hotspot

Gary J. Dikkema gary_d at cdir.ca
Tue Mar 7 17:22:27 CST 2006

Thanks Bill; I wasn't aware of that.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-bounces at muug.mb.ca [mailto:asterisk-bounces at muug.mb.ca]
On Behalf Of Bill Reid
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 1:07 PM
To: Asterisk Open Source PBX SIG
Subject: Re: [*] T.O. to become wireless hotspot

Dean Jones wrote:
> Just my opinion, but I think Winnipeggers are too cheep and unless
they
> provide the service (and wireless adaptors for desktop PCs) for free
then
> not enough of us will use it, so it's probably not high on their list
of
> cities to get completed.

You certainly may be correct about not willing to pay an hourly fee but
we are
not talking desktop PCs but mobile devices: PDAs, notebooks, wifi
phones, etc.
They either come with wireless NICs or people have already bought
wireless NICs
since they run a wireless router in the home.

The City is making a small step by committing to provide wireless
hotspots in
the Millenium Library and possibly other civic buildings. Not clear if
it will
be free in certain areas. It will probably be a service provided by a
private
company.

-- Bill