[*] T.O. to become wireless hotspot

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 7 13:07:16 CST 2006

Dean Jones wrote:
> Just my opinion, but I think Winnipeggers are too cheep and unless they
> provide the service (and wireless adaptors for desktop PCs) for free then
> not enough of us will use it, so it's probably not high on their list of
> cities to get completed.

You certainly may be correct about not willing to pay an hourly fee but we are
not talking desktop PCs but mobile devices: PDAs, notebooks, wifi phones, etc.
They either come with wireless NICs or people have already bought wireless NICs
since they run a wireless router in the home.

The City is making a small step by committing to provide wireless hotspots in
the Millenium Library and possibly other civic buildings. Not clear if it will
be free in certain areas. It will probably be a service provided by a private
company.

-- Bill