[*] New Asterisk Install

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 18 09:21:28 CST 2006

Kevin D Scott wrote:

> I am kind of new to Asterisk.  I have compiled and installed, the
> /etc/asterisk folder is empty, is this normal?

the make samples is separate so that you do not clobber your existing config files.

> I try and start asterisk with “asterisk –vvvc”  It goes through a bunch
> of stuff, however, when it stops, I am back at the linux prompt, not
> Asterisk’s CLI.

Asterisk did not start. it probably gave you an error message.

> If I run ‘make samples’ Asterisk will then stay running, and I am left
> in the CLI, I then went through all of the files in /etc/asterisk/ and
> blanked out every file, and then modified the files as shown below,

It is no helpful to blank out every file. They are needed to start Asterisk.

> One last thing, the next meeting, it was mentioned there will be an
> Intro to Asterisk for Beginners, which day will this meeting be?

First Tues of the month.  March 7th

The topic has not been decided but if it is on Asterisk it would be from the
point of view of an overview of the architecture not on how to do an install.

-- Bill