[*] New Asterisk Install

Kevin D Scott kevinds at cashette.com
Sat Feb 18 05:23:31 CST 2006

Hey People,

I am kind of new to Asterisk.  I have compiled and installed, the
/etc/asterisk folder is empty, is this normal?

I try and start asterisk with "asterisk -vvvc"  It goes through a bunch of
stuff, however, when it stops, I am back at the linux prompt, not Asterisk's
CLI.

"asterisk -r" gives error that it is not running

If I run 'make samples' Asterisk will then stay running, and I am left in
the CLI, I then went through all of the files in /etc/asterisk/ and blanked
out every file, and then modified the files as shown below,

Asterisk still leaves me in the CLI, but my SIP client, a PAP2, gives error,
"Can't connect to login server" and I don't see any attempts in the CLI.

Which are the min files required in /etc/asterisk for it to stay running?  I
am trying to follow "Asterisk 'The Future of Telephony'" book.

One last thing, the next meeting, it was mentioned there will be an Intro to
Asterisk for Beginners, which day will this meeting be?

Thanks everyone.

Kevin

Dual P3 1GHz, 1GB Reg-ECC, 60GB, dual NIC  Fedora FC4, Asterisk 1.2.4

/etc/asterisk/sip.conf

[general]

context=default

bindport=5060