[*] Telephony terms and concepts

LES.NET (1996) INC. voip at les.net
Wed Feb 8 08:36:41 CST 2006

Agreed.  Good luck finding anyone at MTS who knows what BRI is.

My assuption is that since all those brave explorers who ventured into
ISDN BRI land in the mid 90's moved to high-speed, ISDN BRI has become one
of those products thats listed as a service, but rarely called upon.

Here's part of my knowledge base on BRI, as I too have done some research
on it.

Both BRI+PRI are ISDN.

BRI = Basic Rate Interface
PRI = Primary Rate Interface

A PRI has 23 Bearer (b) Channels, and one Data (D) channel.
(23b+d)

A BRI has 2 B-Channels, and 1 D-Channel.
(2b+d)

Both of these technologies allow you to use the BRI/PRI as either Voice or
Data.  Of course, you must connect to another ISDN end point in order to
do Data.

With ISDN (BRI+PRI) you can bind B-Channels together to get more bandwidth.

Generally, with a single carrier (ie: MTS, Bell) you will get 64 Kbps
"clear-channel" for data, when making two ISDN connections talk to each
other.

With a BRI, you can achieve 128kbps.  With a PRI, 1472kbps.

Now, with PRI's, you can have multiple DID's assigned to them.

With BRI's one would think it would be the same.  But this
question/deduction drew gasps from MTS when I asked them about it.

MTS has three ISDN Services:
- ISDN BRI Service
- Measured ISDN BRI Service
- Megalink ISDN PRI Service

ISDN BRI + Measured ISDN BRI are the same thing.

ISDN BRI Service is a flat-rate ISDN Service.

2 B-Channels cost:
- $117/month on a month
- $99/month on a 1 year
- $88/month on a 5 year

Setup is $175.00

Measure ISDN BRI Service is a..... Measure ISDN Service.

2 B-Channels cost:
- $49.95$/month
- There is no term-commitment, its month-to-month

Setup is $159.15

Usage is $0.50/Hour Per B-Channel

The maximum bill for Measured ISDN is $150.00/month

Les.
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, John Lange wrote:
>
>> And are they available as a voice service? Would they connect to an
>> Asterisk T1 card?
>>
>> If they are the same price as analog lines it sure would be nicer than
>> having an FXO card in Asterisk.
>
> We're ordering 2x voice BRI service from MTS for one of our clients. The
> problem is getting a hold of anyone there that knows what BRI is.
>
> Also, I have not been able to find a PCI BRI card that will work with NI-2
> or NI-3 signalling. The PC BRI cards for the most part support EuroISDN
> and NI-1 if you're lucky. We're connecting our BRI's to a Cisco
> VIC2-2BRI-NT-TE module and running SIP from there to Asterisk.
>
> If you want MTS pricing I'll get a hold of it for you, but it was very
> reasonable.

Leslie Bester
LES.NET (1996) INC.
1-866-944-0009