[*] SIP and nat

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 9 18:00:29 CST 2006

Sean Walberg wrote:
> If a peer is marked as "nat=yes", does this mean that Asterisk will use
> the externip value in the SDP packets when setting up the media path
> between the Asterisk server and the peer?  - Yes, testing shows this.

I suspect you are right. I just reconfigured a phone last night and it was not
working. It was on the same network as the server but the conf file file was
marked nat=yes.  I could not register but could receive calls but no audio. I
did not bother tracing packages but I think what you are saying would explain
what I was seeing.

SIP and NAT is certainly not handled well by Asterisk. Asterisk should be able
to NAT by looking at the data stream. NAT works correctly if youi have guessed
correctly. I see that Ollie is writing a SIP3 which wil hopefully address this
and other issues.

-- Bill