[*] * for newbies

Jeff Green jmgreen7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 22:43:01 CDT 2005

I agree that voip-info.org <http://voip-info.org> is a bit of a pain to sift
through. The guide that I used when setting up asterisk for the first time,
which I found on voip-info.org <http://voip-info.org> was Getting Started
With Asterisk <http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm>. It is a little
out of date now and has a whole bunch of stuff on installing Red Hat at the
beginning (not useful if you use a different distro), but contains the basic
information to get started. Another guide that I came across recently is A
guide to VoIP and Asterisk
<http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/voip.ars>from Ars Technica. It
has an introduction to some basic telephone and VOIP
terminology and then a good overview of the subject, though it doesn't go
into much detail about how to configure everything.

A problem with both these guides is that they don't go into some of the more
advanced features of asterisk (like conferencing or setting up advanced
dialplans). This means having to rely on http://www.voip-info.org for this
information, which can be a pain even if you know what you are looking for.
One potential solution would be to try and pull out the most helpful links
related to some particular aspect of asterisk and put them on some separate
site (saving others the effort of going through all the not so useful info).

Are there any other telecom & VOIP terms/concepts not covered in the guides
above that would be helpful to know?

Thanks,

Jeff