[*] Comments about VoIP presentation at CIPS

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed May 18 00:30:07 CDT 2005

Bill is being much more diplomatic than I was after seeing the
presentation.

The slide that got me most riled up is where they compared the worst
possible case for VoIP implementation with the best possible case for IP
Centrex and concluded (unsurprisingly) that there is no business case
for using VoIP in place of MTS Centrex.

Having firmly dismissed the "business case" for VoIP, they then went on
to tell us that in fact there really *IS* a business case for VoIP as
long as you buy the proprietary collaboration software from Nortel
(which happens to use IP as a transport) but really has nothing to do
with VoIP and certainly nothing to do with VoInternt.

The funny thing is, from what I could see of the slide (which was tiny
and 100 miles away) was their final "business case" used 100% soft
numbers to justify the solution. Things like "hours saved playing phone
tag" and "real estate costs saved from having employees work at home"
and all sorts of other numbers that didn't add up to much of a hard
bottom line.

--
John Lange
President OpenIT ltd. www.Open-IT.ca (204) 885 0872