[*] re: CRTC

LES.NET (1996) INC. voip at les.net
Fri May 13 17:31:08 CDT 2005

Hi there.

I think I can clarify this.

If you are referring to:

"directs the ILECs to remove a restriction in their tariffs in order to
allow digital subscriber line service providers that obtain unbundled
loops, connecting links, and co-location"

There is currently a tariff to allow DSL service providers the ability to
acquire unbundled loops.  ie: "dry copper" or "local loop"

This allows the DSL service provider to get the copper connection, DC
continuity, between the DSLAM and the DSL customer.   (DSL only works over
copper)

But the tariff states that the DSL service provider cannot use this copper
loop to provide phone service of any kind over this loop.

So this decision states that the unbundled loop can be used to provide
switched voice services.

Les

> After speaking with Bill, I have changed my impression of what this means.
> It must pertain to wholesale DSL and cable modems. The provider cannot
> block
> these from becoming local loops for VoIP competitors.
>
> ...Ron
>
> On 5/13/05 4:39 PM, "Bill Reid" <billreid at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Ron Dallmeier wrote:
>>> Did anyone notice the following:
>>>
>>> ** Incumbent telcos and cablecos must amend their wholesale
>>>    broadband tariffs to allow ISPs and other resellers to
>>>    provide VoIP over these connections.
>>>

>> I saw that but did not know what it meant. Do you know if the current
>> wholesale
>> tariffs would restrict running competitive services over the broadband?
>>
>> -- Bill

Leslie Bester
LES.NET (1996) INC.
1-866-944-0009