[*] CRTC VoIP decision

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Thu May 12 16:56:25 CDT 2005

Ron Dallmeier wrote:

> The one exception:
> I would be curious what impact this might have on Skype-In. Clearly, normal
> Skype and Skype-Out can be implemented from outside Canada. However, the
> Skype-In service requires direct PSTN access with DIDs, etc. Now if this is
> classified as a regulated telecom service, the foreign ownership rules
> should apply. If these rules do apply, we may not see Skype-In in Canada for
> a long time.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Skype-In. You are right that it
may not be available in Ca.

I like the dissenting opinion of Commissioner Andrée Noël. One point I felt was
not really address was the case where you are using an IP phone and using
numbers to call someone but the call goes nowhere near the PSTN (i.e. FWD,
SIPphone, etc) On one hand it is clearly p2p like but uses the NANP instead of a
email or userid.

When ENUM becomes more widespread I wonder if contributoin obligations, etc.
will be pro-rated based on the call minutes handled completely on the Internet
versus the minites wher one end is the PSTN.

At some point this decision becomes moot even if the phone call is using NANP.

-- Bill