[*] CRTC VoIP decision

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Thu May 12 16:46:13 CDT 2005

Sean A. Walberg wrote:

> Later on, near paragraph 480, the QoS issue is glossed over.  I'm not
> quite sure how to interpret it, but it appears that access providers are
> allowed to sell enhanced QoS to customers as an unbundled service. (are

I think they are basically saying is that an access provider can not
discrimnate. The current regulations could be used if this happened. They also
stated that there were no examples provided where this has happened. I agree
that if this happens than competitive pressure and existing regulation should be
able to deal with it. The only retail QOS that I have heard of is the Calgary
Shaw example where they are offering QOS which is not required for their phone
system and would be a benefit to other VoIP providers.

-- Bill