[*] CRTC VoIP decision

Ron Dallmeier ron at fiber.ca
Thu May 12 16:02:33 CDT 2005

This should have very little impact in the market with the possibility of
one exception.

No Impact arguments:
Telcos are still regulated - they will need to set and follow tariffs.
I don't think that selling below cost has been an issue and I have not seen
it for VoIP. This ruling does prevent telcos from implementing VoIP and
avoiding tariffs and contribution fees.
Interesting that Bell had guessed this all along and began months before the
ruling. The rumour has it that they are also looking at a p2p based service.

The one exception:
I would be curious what impact this might have on Skype-In. Clearly, normal
Skype and Skype-Out can be implemented from outside Canada. However, the
Skype-In service requires direct PSTN access with DIDs, etc. Now if this is
classified as a regulated telecom service, the foreign ownership rules
should apply. If these rules do apply, we may not see Skype-In in Canada for
a long time.

...Ron