[*] CRTC VoIP decision

Sean A. Walberg sean at ertw.com
Thu May 12 15:55:00 CDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Lange wrote:

> Well, here are my comments on this ruling (haven't read the ruling, only
> the press release).

I'm just blazing through the decision, so I may not have it all correct.

> So "we will regulate VoIP (that interfaces to the PSTN) because we
> regulate phone service regardless of technology but we won't regulate
> (internet only) VoIP because its a different technology".
>
> If they really believed that they regulate based on type of service and
> not technology then it shouldn't matter what technology makes up the
> endpoints or the connection between the endpoints.

The difference cited was how similar the two services are to the existing
PSTN, ie a NANP style number and a replacement for a traditional land
line. (p 14, 15, 21)

Of other interest, VoIP providers (non P2P) are subject to contributions.
(376, 377)

Later on, near paragraph 480, the QoS issue is glossed over.  I'm not
quite sure how to interpret it, but it appears that access providers are
allowed to sell enhanced QoS to customers as an unbundled service. (are
the customers the end users, or CLECS/Resellers using the facilities?)
The CRTC also says "The Commission considers that VoIP service providers
should be encouraged to develop their own quality of service improvements
and capabilities...", which I'm not sure how it would apply to the Primus
and Vonages of the world, who don't own the network.

Sean

--
Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://www.ertw.com