[*] QoS on Shaw

Stuart Williams swilliams at cmu.ca
Thu May 5 06:43:31 CDT 2005

I noticed Shaw is now offering QoS for VOIP at $10/month.

The cynic in me reads this as "If you won't buy our digital phone
service, then for a small gift of $10/month, we won't break your
knuckles... er, we mean, we won't artificially slow down your VOIP
service."

They claim their system doesn't need it because their digital phone
traffic uses a separate network, but their phone system has QoS just
in case.  This sounds like dissembling - if it's truly a separate
network then throwing QoS on it is pointless.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/ServiceEnhancement.htm

Stuart.