[*] QOS.. still confused

Sean A. Walberg sean at ertw.com
Wed May 4 07:17:28 CDT 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, John Lange wrote:

> Then on my way home I remembered that Shawn had undertaking the project
> entirely for the purpose of implementing it on his work LAN. Correct?

We have 10 locations across the country, connected by a WAN, so it's not
just for the LAN.  The LAN is just where I started.

> Is it worth while to setup QOS on an internal LAN for the purpose of
> VoIP?

Yes.  The marginal benefit increases as does the size of your network (and
of course so does the complexity of configuration).  As Ron pointed out, a
single switch has very little need for QoS since it should be able to
handle whatever you can throw at it.  But hook up two switches and you
have the capability of oversubscription.  Throw in a WAN (including the
Internet), and the benefit increases.

Sean

--
Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://www.ertw.com