[*] Making a submission to the CRTC

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 4 16:40:52 CST 2005

John Lange wrote:
> I feel this is an important enough issue that we (whomever that might
> be) should file an official request to the CRTC to prevent ISPs from
> assigning their own VOIP traffic a higher priority than their
> competitors.

The CRTC presentation at TUMI yesterday re-affirmed their committment to
produce the VoIP decision in the 2nd quarter.

As Sean said a number of the presentations talked about network neutrality
so the CRTC may address this issue.

> Does anyone have experience making a submission to the CRTC? Since the
> CRTC doesn't exactly move at the speed of light I think its important to
> be proactive.

I have used their complaint procedure to deal with a couple of problems
I had with MTS. I did not get the solution I wanted but the CRTC was
very responsive in handling the process. You complain via email and your
complaint is forwarded the following day to MTS with 20 working days to
respond. The CRTC responded to my emails usually on the same or next day.

Of course currently there is nothing to complain about so the above
procedure is not really applicable. The opportunity for VoIP
presentations is over so I think the only option is to wait until their
decision comes out in the next quarter.

-- Bill