[Fwd: Re: [*] Any interest for a meeting next week]

Dan & Michele ve4drk at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 29 13:51:20 CST 2005

> on another side note ... the little white router that best buy is
> selling for like $2 or some such .. i picked up one with the usb dongles
> (for $20 with mir) ... interesting to note .. it runs linux ! ..
> although there appears to be a possibility of a gpl violation .. that
> was discusssed earlier in the year via a newsgroup item .. haven't found
> the source yet .. one day ...

Further to my previous email, I've managed to find out some information:
fairly generic components:

Router appears to be a re-branded gigafast router:
http://www.gigafast.com/products/product_detail/WF719-CAPR.htm
http://www.bcwireless.net/moin.cgi/GigaFast_WF719-CAPR
although, my port scan of it only showed 80 and 53, no ftp by default.

The USB adapters appear to be rebranded iogear components:
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GWU523
but they have linux drivers!  based on the zydas 1211 chipset
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zd1211
http://zd1211.ath.cx/wiki

I haven't tried reflashing with the 1.2.7FW binary, but I was able to find (similar) source via:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=3099

have not yet tried to reflash (yet) ...

would be nice to open this router up .. even if it only has 16MB ram and 2MB flash.

I think in one of the meetings bill stuffed asterisk on a 16MB wrt54g device..

Dan.