[*] Shaw not selling VoIP?

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 25 17:09:02 CDT 2005

John Lange wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:19 -0500, LES.NET (1996) INC. wrote:
>
>>I would suspect that shaw/bigpipe has their own very nice private network
>>between all their cities for their voip products.   So calls destined to
>>local calling areas they serve most likely go out their own pops.
>

> That would be the smart thing to do but if that is the case then I think
> that pretty much makes it VoI since it would be the same fibre. Might
> even uses public IP addresses...
>
> It all becomes blurry at that point...

I would think that Shaw if required would haul it back to Calgary on a separate
channel. It may be IP or TDM but I think it is pretty safe to say it is not
Internet. The bandwidth between cities is so cheap that for players like Shaw I
would think they would have separate circuits. In anycase THE Internet is not in
Winnipeg for Shaw customers. Except for BigPipe customers (like UofM) we really
only get on the Internet in Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc. It is all private
Shaw/BigPipe links out of Wpg.

-- Bill