[*] Latency on VoIP

Sean A. Walberg sean at ertw.com
Tue Apr 12 12:09:59 CDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Bill Reid wrote:

> On the otherhand if the end device is an IP phone or adaptor which is
> doing the g729 you may be looking at a much higher latency. Have you
> seen any specs on translation time for various adaptors or phones?

Here's Cisco's numbers for their DSP resources on the VIC cards.

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b6710.shtml

The various 729 protocols have 10ms latency.  729a lets you cram 4 calls
onto one DSP, while regular 729 allows only two.

I don't immediately see anything for the phones themselves though.

Sean

--
Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://www.ertw.com