[*] H.323

Sean A. Walberg sean at ertw.com
Mon Apr 11 20:29:41 CDT 2005

Not having a hard SIP phone and no decent SIP client for Linux, I turned
to the only other device I have -- a Cisco uBR924 cable modem with 2 FXS
ports.

After searching Cisco's site, I found it doesn't support SIP.

No problem, I'll try MGCP.  After loading the device with the latest
load and configuring it to talk to my * box, I found out that the uBR
speaks an old version of MGCP not supported by *.

So, I'll try H.323.

What's this?  I have to compile in a channel using the OpenH.323 code?

I'll spare you the long story, and say the following:

When they say "You need the versions of openh323 and pwlib we specify",
they aren't kidding.  The latest version doesn't work.  The one that
comes with Fedora doesn't work.  You have to dig around to get the exact
versions specified in the README (that said, the only ones available for
both are x.y.3, where x.y.1 was what they asked for) That didn't make a
difference)

It's easiest to untar both pwlib and openh323 in your asterisk user's
home directory, since the Makefile for the h323 channel looks
specifically for $HOME/openh323/lib and so forth.  While the docs tell
you all the commands (make clean opt, don't make install), they don't
tell you this.

For the router, I configured it as:
dial-peer voice 1 pots
 destination-pattern 2001
 port 0
dial-peer voice 100 voip
 destination-pattern T
 session target ipv4:192.168.1.10
 dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric
 codec g711ulaw

Still working on the dial plan, since the "T" pattern just collects
digits until a timeout happens.  The demo has 3 and 4 digit extensions,
so this was the easiest way to get started.

Sean

--
Sean A. Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                 http://www.ertw.com