[RndTbl] TV tuner cards

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Tue Nov 16 15:13:44 CST 2010

I had a mythv with a Hauppauge card and shaw for a few years. There is
an add-on for mythtv that supposedly lets you control the Shaw box via
firewire _AND_ it delivers the HD video over the same link but
unfortunately the firewire was unstable. It would sometimes change
channels then lock up or not send video etc. Could have been the
firewire drivers, could have been the Shaw box, hard to say but I
never ended up using it.

Otherwise the mythtv setup worked flawlessly on the regular
non-digital cable channels and even though I no longer have Shaw I
still use it to serve up content on my PS3.

Unless something has changed recently, you can not get digital or HD
content from Shaw unless you buy their tuner. If the serial number of
the tuner is not in their database, you can't use it. The CRTC should
change this rule but the feds don't seem to be big on allowing
competition in any telecommunication space.

Speaking of competition, I recently signed up for Netflix on my PS3
and after watching about 10 hours or so of programming, the service
has been flawless. I'm very impressed.

Unfortunately the catalog is quite limited but if they happen to have
some shows you are interested in then it's a good deal for $8/mo. It
is the closest replacement for cable I've seen yet.

Regards,
--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca